Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Cards from Christmases Past - Part 1

Hey there readers. I know it's been a long time since I've posted anything new. My apologies - but life gets in the way of blogging sometimes. I just could not let the entire holiday season go by without checking in with you guys.
I was trying to come up with something fun to share with you all. As it turns out last year at this time I came across an amazing Christmas Card catalog from 1964 - and I finally got around to scanning some of my favorite card designs. Here is the first batch. The above SEASON'S GREETINGS image is perhaps my favorite. The hand-drawn typeface is gorgeous. The black background and the use of untraditional colors makes it even more special.
More beautiful type here - this one in a much more traditional MERRY CHRISTMAS design with classic golden flourishes.
This one is super-traditional, yet elegant way to say MERRY CHRISTMAS.
Here's a nice avocado and gold number. This SEASON'S GREETINGS reminds me of church posters from the 1970s.
And finally, here's a pretty blue and gold die-cut PEACE ON EARTH design. I just love how things didn't have to be all about red and green back then. Designers were willing to take a chance on other colors and it often worked out real well. I hope to have more cards to share with you tomorrow.  

No comments: