Sunday, April 1, 2012

April Fools...

Here's something I originally ran for April Fool's Day 2009 - When I decided to go against the trend and answer a serious question truthfully. People often ask me, "Doug, what's the single worst movie you've ever seen?" and after I answer "SHREK", then I usually ask them: "Do you mean worst movie ever made? Worst movie disappointment? Or worst movie, but I love it so much I've seen it hundreds of times?" In the case of the third question, it could only be:
Yes, THE BLACK DEVIL DOLL FROM HELL - which my friend Tara discovered over 20 years ago in the African American Studios section of her local video store.

Yes, THE BLACK DEVIL DOLL FROM HELL - which features an entire soundtrack performed on a Casio keyboard.

Yes, THE BLACK DEVIL DOLL FROM HELL - which features a bravura, gutsy performance by Shirley L. Jones as a devoted church-lady who purchases what she thinks is a quaint, harmless puppet. But then is harassed by, brutalized by and finally falls in love with this demonic ventriloquist dummy (play in several action sequences by a small child).
Yes, THE BLACK DEVIL DOLL FROM HELL - which features the classic line "I've been with many men, several to be exact".Yes, THE BLACK DEVIL DOLL FROM HELL - which features the aforementioned Shirley L. Jones masturbating in the shower.
Yes, the one, the only, the original BLACK DEVIL DOLL FROM HELL - accept no substitutes. No foolin'!

6 comments:

Writer said...

So is http://www.quickstopentertainment.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/07/dvdlateshow-july11-trilogy.jpg

Karen Black in the Trilogy of Terror the whitewashed, non-masturbating in shower version of this movie?

Doug said...

Love TRILOGY OF TERROR. I actually wrote about it and THE ABC MOVIE OF THE WEEK in my very first DOUGSPLOITATION post (before that this blog was called MOVIES THAT MAKE YOU SAY 'HUH?' for about a year).

Danny in WeHo said...

Is this the one where the doll lives in a locker at the train station finds himself quite popular after he reveals a talent for picking winners at the racetrack, then abducts and attacks the woman? Wait, I think part of that is a Gary Coleman movie I saw once... They're hard to tell apart!

chuck said...

I think there is a remake of this film:
http://www.blackdevildoll.com/

Which has a much more in depth story line...

John C. said...

Dina Martina did a screening of BDDFH for the Nellies in Ptown last summer. It's amazing.

frank said...

omg: Zuni warrior meets streets of Compton. I'm more scared at this one's jeri-curl-meets-Ted Nugent than of the jagged teeth and tribal screams of the Miss Black's nemesis.