Sunday, August 30, 2009

How I Spent a Hot Summer Weekend

I'm a bad gay. While most of my friends were out in the hot, smoky Los Angeles night watching Liza shriek and croak her away through her two nights at the Hollywood Bowl, I was at home in the air conditioned comfort of my living with a few good friends watching great stuff like GRIZZLY (1976) and MAUSOLEUM (1983).
You see, I've seen Ms. Minnelli perform live throughout the 80s, 90s and even the early 2000s, and I feel I have already seen her at her best. Her triumphant run at Carnegie Hall and her post-Results tour were her glory days, and I will forever cherish seeing those performances.
Having met her and talked to Liza on a few occasions, I have nothing but admiration and respect for the lady whose flawless talent will forever be preserved in her films, TV specials and in my memories. I'm glad others now have gotten their turn to see her, but I'm so glad I sat this one out. Reviews of GRIZZLY and MAUSOLEUM to come soon.