Friday, October 23, 2009

Soupy Sales 1926-2009

I usually don't comment when a celebrity dies, but Soupy Sales always stands out in my mind because about 20 years ago my ex Rob and I went to see the late, great jazz legend Rosemary Clooney perform on New Year's Eve. Rosie was at the top of her game, and it was a sheer delight to be in her presence. Why am I telling you this? Well, Rosie's opening act was, you guessed it–Soupy Sales. I knew who Soupy was mostly from his appearances on THE MATCH GAME and the syndicated daytime version WHAT'S MY LINE? I also seeing clips from his obnoxious daytime kid's show and I never thought he was that funny. Well, seeing him perform live was far from a treat. Soupy's act was pure ham & cheese served on corn bread, and I remember wishing it was over before it even began. His "big number" was a cover of Billy Preston's "Nothing from Nothing". I recall Rob and I looking at each other with mortified faces and beginning to quietly chat "Rosie! Rosie!" to ourselves. Well, Soupy's gone now and all I can say is "Nothin' from nothin' leaves nothin' You gotta have somethin' if you wanna be with me". Rest in peace, Mr. Sales.

No comments: