Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Love at the Five & Dime...

I really miss the concept of a five-and-dime store. While I love the 99 Cents Store and Target, they are just not the same. Woolworth's, McCrory's, SS Kresge, Lamstons...all gone. Here's a wonderful old postcard depicting Stapleton Town Square in my hometown circa 1940s/50s. I can only imagine what this area looks like today.
Nanci Griffith's Love at the Five & Dime, covered here by the great Kathy Mattea is a melancholy reminder of those simplier times.
And Robert Altman's brilliant film adaptation of COME BACK TO THE FIVE & DIME, JIMMY DEAN, JIMMY DEAN boasts some wonderful performances by Sandy Dennis, Karen Black and Cher.

1 comment:

laura linger said...

My Grandma used to take me to downtown Cincinnati on the bus. Our destination: Woolworth's, where we would have lunch at the soda fountain and where I was permitted to pick out a couple of little presents.

That's a wonderful set of memories from my childhood.