Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Even the Grinch has a Best Friend

Something dawned on me while flipping through my childhood copy of the original
How The Grinch Stole Christmas! the other day.
And I guess it had occurred to me a few times before – while watching the classic Chuck Jones cartoon adaptation.
But I really noticed it this time – The Grinch is not human, but yet he has a dog for a pet! Yes, even a mis-guided, small-hearted, Christmas-stealing, Who-hating Grinch is able to find room in his cold, soulless existence for a cute, loyal pooch.
Sure, he's mildly abusive to Max, dressing him up as a reindeer and forcing him to pull a sled over snow-covered mountains – but the fact that the Grinch has given Max a home and a purpose shows that even at his worst, the Grinch isn't completely evil.
And Max is about as dedicated to the Grinch as any dog is to their human companion.
So this holiday season, if you are thinking of adding a pet to your family - please consider adopting a rescued animal. Don't support puppy mills, pet stores or breeders. Check out Best Friends or do a Google search for breed specific rescue organizations or a local shelter that can match you up with a perfect dog or cat that desperately needs a home. Don't be a Grinch - open your heart to a needy animal. And remember to spay or neuter your pets - we don't need to bring any more unwanted pups and kitties into this world. Okay, I'll get off my soap box now. 

1 comment:

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Super post for the under-rated dog from the Grinch! Isn't he cute! I adopted two puppies in May of this year from a shelter, best thing I've ever done!