Friday, September 26, 2008

can 2 depressed amphibians share a swamp without driving each other crazy?

One of my favorite childhood books was a little treasure called Frog and Toad Are Friends - a collection of short stories about an odd couple of male amphibians who spend ALOT of time together...
The sweet stories detail simple tales like Toad trying to convince Frog to get out of bed for the 1st day of Spring; Toad trying to convince Frog to get out of bed (again) because he's pretending to be sick; Toad losing a button; and Frog trying to convince Toad to get out of bed to get a letter. There's a lot of bed-hopping going on with these two green fellas. And then there's the swimming hole...
"I don't wear a bathing suit" said Frog. Is there any wonder why I loved this book?

THIS is the gayest thing I ever read - when I was 6. This collection was followed by 2 sequels: Frog and Toad Together (I'll bet!) and Frog and Toad All Year. Thanks to Arnold Lobel for writing and drawing a book that made me think, at 6 years old, that it's not unusual to have a same-sex partner and to enjoy swimming nude. 

5 comments:

Writer said...

I thought that Arnold Lobel was gay, and won a Lambda Literary Award for his work. But now I can't find anything to support that, so I'll keep looking. Apparently his name appears on the AIDS Quilt Website.

Writer said...

So, I did some research and Arnold Lobel is part of the Lambda Literary Memorial that you can see on youtube or on my website...so I don't know what the assumption is...but another blog I just looked at said he was married and had two kids and that he nominally died of cardiac arrest.

Danny in WeHo said...

Of course, you do know about the Broadway musical starring Mark Lynn Baker, right?

Doug said...

Oh my gawd - Danny's right. I never heard about this!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Year_With_Frog_and_Toad

Anonymous said...

Quote: Shewey, Don. "Culture Vulture: Adrianne Loble, Carly Simon, and the Oscar Nominees." another eye opens.com/2010/03/04/culture-vulture-adrianne-lobel-carly-simon-and-the-oscar-nominees/

"...she produced of A Year with Frog and Toad, based on the famous children’s book by her father, Arnold. It turns out that Andy grew up on the Frog and Toad books and was thrilled to meet the author’s daughter. She told us that the books have a big gay following and that her father was a closeted gay guy who only came out late in life. (He died in 1987.)" Arnold Lobel died of Aids in 1987. He was supported and loved by his creative family throughout his life.