Saturday, September 20, 2008

I Guess Jesus WAS a Friend Of Mine...

The last time I was back home for a visit, I decided to look through some boxes of books that I had as a kid. Among the books were several that I "re-designed". You see, even as a kid I was an art director–If books were missing a cover or if I didn't like a particular cover, I'd just make a new one. No problem. Give me some scrap paper and some markers - and viola - a new cover! I also remember once getting "in trouble" for color-correcting the skin of a caucasian police officer on a Little Golden Book  (and drawing an Afro on him) because I wanted him to look like Linc from THE MOD SQUAD! Yes - I was THAT progressive as a child. Well here's my "new'"cover for a little book called THE STORY OF JESUS! I think I did this when I was 4 or 5 years old, possibly making this the first piece of graphic design by little Doug.Look how fancy I made it too! Jesus is on the cross - smiling and wearing a PINK gown with RED sleeves. Notice the cute little sandals and yellow glow. Wow - what was in my Kool-Aid? Also, notice how I credited the publisher (larger font size than the title) - and the author's name is given a rare verical type treatment. Very clever if I do say so myself. If only the artwork inside was as good as the cover...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it!

Anonymous said...

such raw talent.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the Pink Jesus Gown!

Anonymous said...

great cover! I'd buy it! LOL