Monday, September 29, 2008

TV tie-in merchandise that makes you say "huh?"

JULIA was a ground-breaking, but light-hearted NBC TV sitcom about a widowed African-American nurse played by Diahann Carroll. The show dealt Julia Baker and the difficulties of managing a career and raising a son, Corey (aged 6 at the series start). Corey's best friend was named "Earl J. Waggedorn", whom he addressed as such.
In this "authorized edition", Corey and Earl J. play Show and Tell. I'm not one to guess what exactly this game of Show and Tell encompasses, but Earl Jr. clearly is amused and satisfied, while Corey is looking back over his shoulder as if he's been caught showing something that he shouldn't have. It could be anything: mom's bra, a condom he found in his late father's nightstand drawer, a photo of Earl Jr.'s parents at a Klan rally...anything. I don't know, but there's just something creepy about this bookcover.

After doing a bit of research, I discovered that the book is about this: "Corey decides to take his good friend Earl to school for his Show and Tell". Okay, that is pretty creepy, but kind of cute, I guess.

3 comments:

Rick Andreoli said...

"Look, guys! I brought my white friend for show & tell!"

Really? Isn't that wonderfully INSANE?

Jeff said...

I TOTALLY OWNED THIS BOOK WHEN I WAS LITTLE. Swear to God. I related to the white kid because I looked just like him. True story. Plus I loved "Julia", which in retrospect probably explains a few things...

laura linger said...

"Julia" was also a groundbreaker because it acknowledged that, you know, people DIED over in Vietnam and stuff. That was her backstory: her husband was killed in combat in 'Nam, and she was left to raise their son. Before then, all television shows pretty much ignored the war, unless you count The Beverly Hillbillies, which pretty much had eight episodes at least per season, 1965-1970, when Jethro attempts to join a branch of the Armed Forces, requiring Mr. Drysdale, Miss Hathaway, a scantily clad Ellie Mae, or a gorilla (sometimes all four) to foil his plans.